ZocdocAnswersDo I have a callus or a wart?

Question

Do I have a callus or a wart?

Hi, I am confused as to whether I have a possible wart or if it is just a callus. It is on the palm of my hand, right at the crease between the finger and the palm (where normal calluses would be). It appears to be a normal callus. Skin lines run through it, no unusual pain from what I can tell. However, there are small pin prick black/reddish dots on the surface, and what appears to be black dots deeper down as well. Could this be a wart? I was wondering if it could just be dried blood from heavy hand use. I do a lot of weight lifting, could this be the cause?

Answer

Thank you for your question. You should see a doctor to further evaluate your hand. You could see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist. Given your description, it is possible that you have a callous. A callous is a thickened area of skin due to repeated friction or pressure. It is possible to have small amounts of blood beneath a callous. Weightlifting is one thing that can cause a callous or callouses. You could also definitely have a wart. A wart is caused by a virus that enters the skin through a break - which can be very small - and then infects the skin. There are many different viruses that can cause warts. Warts are most common in younger people but can affect older people also. Many warts, up to two thirds of them, resolve on their own. However, some warts require treatment. Also, in some cases warts can indicate serious underlying conditions. If you have a wart, your doctor can advise you on treatment options. It is also a possibility that what you have is neither a callous nor a wart. As with other growths, there is the possibility that area on your hand could be something more serious such as a cancer. Without seeing a doctor, it is impossible to receive a diagnosis. I strongly advise you to see a doctor.