I have a sore throat, do you think cough drops would help?

I don't want to go to the doctor so do you think cough drops would help?or maybe just the symptoms?
A sore throat is something that you should always see your doctor for. The reason for this is that one of the most common causes of sore throat is strep throat. Strep throat, while typically not deadly, can cause other problems if it is not treated with antibiotics. Most specifically, it can cause kidney problems and on occasion rheumatic fever. These are complications that you do not want to have to deal with. You are correct in that this is probably something benign such as a viral infection which would just be treated symptomatically with something similar to cough drops. However there is no way to tell without being examined. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will likely want to examine your throat with a flashlight and a tongue depressor. Addition, if your throat looks like it could be infected with Streptococcus, then you will likely need to undergo a strep test to see if you need to be treated with penicillin or some other antibiotic. If it does not appear that you have strep throat, then your doctor can treat you symptomatically with a medication that numbs the throat such as Cepacol or lidocaine or just treat you symptomatically with Tylenol. Good luck.

• Dr. Ruben Ruiz
    Dr. Ruben Ruiz MD
    3012 San Gabriel Blvd.
    Rosemead, CA 91770
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021