Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Pimple-like bumps on penis shaft, what could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersPimple-like bumps on penis shaft, what could it be?


I am only active with one sexually partner and i took her virginity


Genital skin changes are a very common concern for many people, and in order to have them properly evaluated, it is very important that you schedule an appointment to see your doctor, so that he or she can evaluate what the skin lesions actually look like and in order to obtain a more complete history and run any tests that are indicated. Having said that, pimples on the penis are quite common. The genital area is a region that accumulates a lot of sweat and moisture, and if these bumps on your penis resemble pimples, this is the most likely cause. You can try applying warm compresses on the area in order to draw out the pus, and they should resolve over the course of days. On the other hand, I am sure you are worried about having acquired a sexually transmitted infection, so I will talk briefly about these. The most common symptoms of gonorrhea or chlamydia in men is pain with urination and penile discharge from the tip of the penis (the urethra opening). Although women may not have any symptoms of gonorrhea and chlamydia at all, men almost always exhibit these symptoms. Herpes often appears as small clusters of red, raised, often fluid filled lesions that can be quite painful and burning in nature. Syphilis can often be associated with a painless ulcer on the penis and chancroid is associated with a painful ulcer. HIV may present with no skin findings at all but rather a viral syndrome, such as sore throat, low-grade fever, muscle aches, and fatigue. Although your skin findings could most certainly be due to pimples on your penis, I would highly recommend making an appointment to speak with your doctor in order to have him or her actually examine the area that you are concerned about.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.