ZocdocAnswersIs my upper arm broken?

Question

Is my upper arm broken?

I went to the beach In July and well I was swimming a big wave was coming my way so i drove through it and when I came up my upper arm and shoulders was hurting pretty bad so i got out of the water and didn't go back in any more.i thought that i twisted it some way. So i toughed it out but it still hurts.so now I'm getting concern about arm.so what do you think

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your arm pain. It sounds like the pain is significantly affecting your life. I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. You will require a thorough, in-person evaluation to determine the cause of your pain, and you may need additional tests or a referral to a specialist. With any sort of direct trauma, such as that of a large wave crashing against your arm, a bone fracture is possible. The damage could be to your upper arm bone, or humerus, as well as your collarbone (clavicle) or shoulder blade (scapula). It is possible to have a small fracture or crack in the bone with having a full, obvious bone break. If your doctor suspects a fracture after examining you, you will require an x-ray. Trauma such as that you experienced can also cause damage to the cartilage and ligaments of your shoulder. You could also have damage to the labrum, or cartilage lining of the shoulder. You could have a muscle strain of one of the arm or shoulder muscles. A thorough physical exam can help pinpoint the issue. Depending on these findings, you may require an MRI of the affected area. I encourage you to see a primary care doctor to help determine the cause of your symptoms.