ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have an anal fissure located on the side of my anus? What can I do about it?

Question

Why do I have an anal fissure located on the side of my anus? What can I do about it?

im in excruciating pain. Loosing sleep because of this

Answer

I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor who can evaluate you to confirm that you have anal fissure and create a treatment plan. Anal fissures that tears near or in the wall of the rectum. They are very painful as you mentioned. The cause of anal fissures are mainly from constipation. Constipation also cause hemorrhoids that are also painful. They are sometimes confused with one another. When you are suffering from constipation, you generate a higher intra-abdominal pressure during your bowel movements. People also have harden stool that are larger when they are constipated. With higher pressures, harden stool, and an increased size of the stool, it can cause tears in the skin. The pain is usually sharp. The best treatment for anal fissures are ensuring that you do not have constipation. Eating a regular diet that is rich is fiber such as vegetables and nuts are a great way to soften your stool and to allow it to pass through the colon regularly. Be sure to also drink plenty of fluids. If these changes do not help, you should consider stool softeners to help you during this process. In any case, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and to create a plan to treat your anal fissures. Your doctor can prescribe topical medicines that can alleviate some of the pain.