Why won't my period stop?

Hello, I’m 18 and my periods normally last around 6 days and I get a normal flow. My last period was normal as well, but this one came a week before. At the beginning I would spot one time around the same time at night then it went away, this happened for about 3 days. The fourt day I started at night as well but the flow was really heavy. I’ve been having a heavy flow for about 9 days now and I get a lot of chunks of blood as well those gooey ones. What could possibly be wrong? Also I got really bad cramps a week before this started happening
That is an excellent question and one that should be addressed by your primary care doctor, OB/GYN, or other emergency medical professional because based upon your history you provided, you may be having hemorrhaging which can become a medical emergency if not evaluated and treated in an urgent manner. The fact that you are developing clots is another red flag that suggests that you need to be evaluated in an urgent manner. There are several causes for this but in the face of continuing hemorrhage, the underlying causes are less important than the fact that you are evaluated because you can develop decreased blood counts which can cause other complications and injure organs within the body. When you go to the hospital, they will check your blood pressure and other vital signs, and if these are on the lower end, they may decide to give you a blood transfusion or fluid boluses to increase the amount of volume within the vessels in your body. They may also check a pregnancy test on you, check the clotting levels of your blood and other blood tests to elucidate the case of why this is happening.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043