Ear gets muffled after standing up for a while, what could it be?

Hi, one of my ears gets muffled after I have been standing up for 5-10 minutes, there is no pain or hearing loss. I had it cleaned by a doctor, got a bit better, but still gets muffled and it should be clean of wax now. Doesn't happen when i am sitting or lying down and not immediately after standing up, but after some time.
A muffled ear is an interesting problem that has several possible explanations. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. The most common answer is that you have something in the external auditory canal, and the most common explanation for that is cerumen, or ear wax. Having that removed is a good first start, but it is not necessarily true that the wax won't come back. It's a good idea to have those checked regularly. The more interesting part of your question is that you note that your ear feels more muffled when you are standing. This suggests a positional element to your problem, and ear wax might or might not show up like that. Another idea would be to have some sort of problem with drainage from your ear. Your eustachian tube is responsible for draining the middle ear, and problems with draining from that tube can present as muffled hearing. In that sort of situation, there are a number of different explanations for why the tube isn't working well. Speaking with an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngologist) is one of the best ways to help clarify what is causing your actual problem. Please speak with your doctor about this.

• Dr. John Gilmore
    Dr. John Gilmore MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10740 N. Central Expressway
    Dallas, TX 75231
  • Dr. Anand Devaiah
    Dr. Anand Devaiah MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    830 Harrison Ave
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. David Walden
    Dr. David Walden MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    320 Superior Ave
    Newport Beach, CA 92663