ZocdocAnswersIn a tubal pregnancy, does a sac form in the uterus even if there is no baby in the uterus?

Question

In a tubal pregnancy, does a sac form in the uterus even if there is no baby in the uterus?

I went in for an ultrasound and found out I was about 4 1/2 weeks pregnant but the nurse didn't see anything in the sac. She said she thoughtvi was to early and rescheduled me for another one in three weeks. Is it possible to have a tubal pregnancy AND have a placental sack in the uterus?

Answer

You should speak with your OB/GYN as soon as possible. Generally speaking, the short answer your question is yes, you can have a tubal pregnancy and a normal uterine pregnancy. It occurs extremely rarely and the setting of pregnancies the result in twins, but both fertilized eggs don't reach the uterus. However, if you have a singleton, or in other words your are pregnant with only one baby, and the ultrasound technician saw a forming placenta in the uterus, then you do not have an ectopic pregnancy. I agree that is potentially too early for them to see the details inside your developing placenta. Therefore, I wouldn't make much of what they found yet. What you need, is blood test to look for beta hCG which is the hormone that is released by the placenta when you become pregnant. In addition, you will need another ultrasound in an additional four weeks. If you develop bleeding, or any other abnormal feelings such as abdominal pain, cramping, or nausea and vomiting, then you should schedule an appointment immediately with your OB/GYN or head straight to the emergency room for further evaluation. Vaginal bleeding and pelvic pain are the symptoms that go along with an ectopic pregnancy and should not be ignored as an ectopic pregnancy can be potentially fatal.