ZocdocAnswersWhen do you ovulate when on birth control?

Question

When do you ovulate when on birth control?

I am on the Nuva Ring and I was wondering when I ovulate while on it or when I am most fertile? I want to know so that I can use a second method at that time of the month.

Answer

I would suggest that you discuss this issue with your OB/GYN. The general answer to your question is that you do not ovulate when you're on hormonal birth control. Hormonal birth control acts to inhibit the release of certain gonadotropins from the anterior pituitary that cause ovulation. Thus the mechanism by which hormonal birth control prevents pregnancy is by inhibiting ovulation. This is the reason women generally do not need a second form of birth control to prevent pregnancy if they're on a form of hormonal birth control such as the Nuva Ring. However, that does not mean that you don't need to use barrier protection such as a condom to prevent transmission of STDs. The only instance in which we recommend that you use two forms of birth control (one of which being hormonal) is when patients are on a medication called Accutane for acne. The reason for this is that Accutane causes severe birth defects and we want to make sure if somebody forgets a pill that they don't get pregnant accidentally. If you use the Nuva Ring exactly as prescribed and you never have sex without it and then your chances of getting pregnant are very very small. I would suggest that you discuss this issue further with your OB/GYN. OB/GYN's have many different options for you for birth-control that you could try if you get tired of the ring.