I have frequent urination, what could be the cause?

For the last three to five months I have been urinating more frequently that before and the need to urinate each time has become increasingly urgent. When i do urinate I am passing regular to large amounts of urine, only it is more frequent and urgent. I am in my early 20's. The only change I can think of is that I have switched to drinking diet soda instead of regular soda, which has lead me to drink more soda overall. I have also tried to consume water more regularly but I do not fee I am drinking enough to cause such an increase in frequency and especially urgency of urination. Until recently, I have also felt comfortable in being able to hold urine for moderate to long periods of time without the feeling of urgency. Please help me determine what the cause could be. Thanks for any help.
This is a good question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Your doctor will likely order testing such as a urine dip and culture and possibly some blood work. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your exam, he or she may also order imaging, such as an ultrasound. Urinary frequency can be caused by multiple conditions. One of the most common causes of frequency is a urinary tract infection, but this is usually accompanied by pain when urinating as well as lower abdominal pain and sometimes fever. Pregnancy can also cause increase in urination so if you are sexually active and have had any change in your periods your doctor will likely do a pregnancy test. One of the first symptoms of diabetes in many people is an increase in urination. This is usually accompanied by an increase in thirst and often weight loss. Another possibility is that there is something pushing on your bladder, such as fecal matter if you are constipated, or a tumor of the uterus, ovary, etc. Again, it is very important to see your doctor, and in the meantime, try cutting back on the soda as caffeine can cause an increase in urination.

• Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723