ZocdocAnswersI get light-headed and everything starts spinning. What's wrong?

Question

I get light-headed and everything starts spinning. What's wrong?

My vision starts getting blurred and I can't see

Answer

You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to tease out your medical history and help you figure out what's going on. It seems like you have dizziness, vertigo, and a change in vision. They can all be related; however, it is uncertain at this point. Pre-syncope is a condition where you feel like you are about to pass out or black out. Syncope is when you actually pass out or black out. Dizziness and feeling lightheaded are signs of pre-syncope. The etiologies of -pre-syncope that are concerning are orthostatic hypotension and arrhythmias. Orthostatic hypotension is when you have low blood pressures when you change position from a sitting to standing position suddenly. The low blood pressures can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, and dark vision. An arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rate that can cause decreased blood flow to the brain. Arrhythmias can be associated with palpitations and are usually sudden in onset. Vertigo is a symptom where you feel that the room is spinning. The causes of vertigo are broad and can include infections in the inner ear, stones in the inner ear, or even an intracranial process. Vertigo is associated with nausea and vomiting. Please make an appointment with your primary care doctor to tease out your medical history a bit more to determine if you have dizziness or vertigo as these symptoms are completely different.