ZocdocAnswersHow can I get rid of scars?

Question

How can I get rid of scars?

Im 16 years old and I've got bacne. Actually It stopped now, Im not getting spots but i have scars after acne and its so embarrassing for me because i cant wear any back crop tops. I've tried loads of things like ;bio oil, cocoa butter etc; I even went to my GP and I only got told to use scrub, but still nothing ! Over the holidays i tanned and some of them disappeared but in these places I now have white spots.

Answer

Thanks for this interesting question. I recommend that you discuss your concern with a doctor. First, tanning is not the answer to remove these spots. Scars will often tend to lighten and improve over time, in most instances, but the one thing that does tend to make them worse in almost all cases is sun exposure. This exposure can lead to long term changes in the maturation of the scar that can ultimately make them more obvious and not heal as well as they otherwise could. Now, with regards to these scars, it is important to know how long they have been there. While there are many treatment options, most doctors would want to make sure that they don't start treating scars that are relatively young, as these will improve to a great degree by themselves. Usually, it is advised to allow scars to mature for at least 6 months, and sometimes even a year or more depending on the scar and other factors. It is also important to make sure that new scars are less likely to form, so that you aren't left repeating the process in a few months or years and have the best long term outcome possible. Once those criteria have been satisfied, there are many options. Again, please speak to a dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or ear nose and throat surgeon for more assistance.