I have razor bumps on my legs, how can I get them to go away?

When I'm in the shower they look like whiteheads, but when I'm out of the shower they look like pimples. I have changed my razor and haven't gotten any new ones but I want the existing ones to go away.
It recommend that you talk with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist about this issue. It would be good to formally diagnosis what these bumps are, since they could be one of several different conditions. One possibility would be ingrown hairs. These commonly occur in areas of the body that are regularly shaved. Treatment can include good skin hygiene, although holding off on shaving for a while can also be important. Another condition would be folliculitis, or infections at the base of the hair shafts. Again, mild cases of folliculitis will usually respond to good skin hygiene. However, more serious cases may require antibiotics from your doctor. Another condition which is common is molluscum contagiosum. This is a viral infection of the skin that causes small fleshy growth. These may be confused with pimples. Sometimes, treatment by freezing or burning the growths can be helpful, although the growths often will clear up on their own. Also, shaving would be good to avoid, as this can spread the growths across the skin. Call and make an appointment to see your doctor at your convenience. They will be able to help you figure out what to do.

Nearby Dermatologists

• Dr. Jane Yoo
    Dr. Jane Yoo MD
    Dermatologist
    37 East 28th St
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Peter Chien
    Dr. Peter Chien MD, PhD, FAAD
    Dermatologist
    37 East 28th St
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Lian Mack
    Dr. Lian Mack MD
    Dermatologist
    130 East 18th St
    New York, NY 10003