ZocdocAnswersI'm 8 1/2 months pregnant, my feet are swollen, and I have pain in my upper thighs. What should I do?

Question

I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant, my feet are swollen, and I have pain in my upper thighs. What should I do?

never seen doctor . i dont know what to do espacally since i havent seen adoctor

Answer

First, I would really encourage you to see an OB/GYN immediately. It sounds like you could be two weeks away from delivering! If this is the case, then you really need to see somebody right away prior to delivering. Your delivery will go much smoother if you are seen by a physician before then. With that said, the symptoms of swollen feet and pains in the lower extremities are fairly common in pregnant women. If the issue is in both legs, then likely nothing will get be done. If the issues are unilateral, that is they are occurring in only one leg, and sometimes doctors will have the patient undergo testing for a blood clot in the leg since these were common in pregnant women. Whether or not this testing is done is determined by your physician's physical exam. If the swollen feet are bilateral, and really not that severe, then likely they will be attributed to the natural side effects of being pregnant. I would suggest that you call your local hospital and see if you can get an appointment with an OB/GYN immediately. You do not want to show up to the hospital and deliver a baby having never seen a doctor.