ZocdocAnswersI just found out I'm pregnant, should I keep taking Metformin?

Question

I just found out I'm pregnant, should I keep taking Metformin?

I just found out I'm pregnant and I have diabetes I'm currently on metformin should I stop taking it. This is my second pregnancy the first was a miscarriage I don't go to the dr till the 23 what should I do?

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that should definitely be discussed with your primary care doctor or OB/GYN. With regards to metformin, it is considered pregnancy category B by the FDA, which means that they did not find any issues with its use in animals but there have been no good studies in humans to know whether it is safe or not. As such, it is important that you discuss with your primary care doctor the risks and benefits of its use while pregnant and then come up with a plan for how to treat your diabetes during your pregnancy. Oftentimes, they may suggest that you use insulin to control your sugar. but it is a discussion that must be had between you and your doctor so that you are aware of all the risks and benefits of using these medications and what should be done if you become hyperglycemic, or hypoglycemic. Usually, patients who have diabetes and are pregnant require a little more oversight and observation than those who are not, so it is important to establish a relationship with your doctor soon so they can help guide you through your pregnancy and beyond that.