ZocdocAnswersIs a 0.9 on and HSV test positive or negative results?

Question

Is a 0.9 on and HSV test positive or negative results?

Recently had an STD test and my HSV2 came back as 0.9 I was told by a nurse that I was positive but all I read says that is actually negative. So what is it?

Answer

I think that the test that your doctor sent off was the HSV-2 antibody test, so it is important to discuss it with your doctor. If this is the case, then the real question is what the upper limit of normal is for this test. All of these tests have some amount of non-specificity meaning that the test will sometimes come back greater than zero to a certain level. If the range of normal is zero to something greater than 0.9, and the test should be read as negative. What this means is that you have not been exposed to HSV-2. As you may or may not be aware, HSV-2 is the virus that is most commonly associated with genital herpes. HSV-1 is another version of the herpes simplex virus that often causes cold sores. However, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 can cause genital lesions which is what I imagine you are most concerned about. 10% of genital lesions are actually caused by HSV-1 so this test should be sent off as well especially if your doctors are concerned that you have an HSV infection. If your doctors had low suspicion, then perhaps whatever symptoms you had are not due to herpes simplex virus. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss this issue.