I have an aching throat, what should I do?

It's not a sore throat, and I don't have a sore in the back of my throat. It hurts when I swallow. Like it is tender and it aches
Thank you for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. There are many potential causes of a sore throat, which all of us have had at one time or another. One of the most common causes is strep throat, an infection of the throat that is caused by bacteria. While not the most common cause, it is often thought of because there is an effective treatment which is antibiotics. Much more common are viral infections of the upper respiratory tract, which can be spread quite easily between people. Most of these require short amounts of time with good hydration, rest, and good hygiene and will resolve by themselves. Usually there are some symptoms that help to differentiate between the types of infection that people have, and can provide clues to your doctor. Beyond the simple infectious causes of sore throat, there are many other things such as laryngo pharyngeal reflux disease (also know as GERD), post nasal drainage, and things that are much more concerning. By answering just a few questions for your doctor, he or she will be able to narrow down a list of likely problems and provide some recommendations to help you feel better. Please speak with your doctor.

Nearby Ear, Nose & Throat Doctors