Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have structural issues on legs, knees, ankles. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have structural issues on legs, knees, ankles. What could it be?


I have a structural deformity that no one seems to understand. I feel very self conscious about this and it's clear that something is wrong with my legs as well as my feet. I have flatfoot , my knees have a really awkward and unnatural structure. I also have a huge vein pop out on my right calf. I'm 17 years old. Its really embarrassing and I need medical advice :(Problems with knee structure , leg structure , veins , ankle structure , and flatfoot


I am sorry to hear about your leg issues, and I can understand how they would troubling for you. In this situation, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. It is not possible to know what the abnormality is without being able to examine you in person. Additionally, you may require x-rays or other tests, which the surgeon could help arrange. There are many different congenital disorders that can cause abnormalities of the legs and feet. Many chromosomal disorders can cause leg abnormalities, although they often also cause abnormalities of other organs, as well. Certain drug exposures as a fetus can cause skeletal abnormalities. Abnormal leg structure can make it difficult for normal ambulation, running, and muscle development. Flat feet themselves do not always cause issues for people, although some individuals experience foot pain as a result. It is difficult to comment on your leg vein. It is possible this is a varicose vein that has developed prematurely. A blood clot can cause enlarged, superficial leg veins. Depending on the cause, you may be able to undergo a cosmetic procedure to address the vein. However, I think it is important for you to first undergo an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon to determine the specific cause of your leg abnormalities.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.