ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do for scabs on my scalp?

Question

What can I do for scabs on my scalp?

I'm a teen, and sometimes I noticed when I gets stressed I'll start scratching my head, I've noticed I have been do it during tests lately and then I will get scabs. What should I do, I feel kind of embarassed to feel them and I have them and then they go away. Where as in I used to have it for a while. I'm getting really annoying and frustrated. What can I do, especially to make them dissapear or even make me stop scratching at my head and scalp?

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another medical care provider. Based upon the limited history provided, it is difficult to know whether you are feeling a compulsion to do this scratching behavior or if this is just a simple learned habit that you do whenever you get stress. The treatments for these two things can be very different and so it is best that you doctor elucidate the underlying cause of why you are doing this and then he or she will decide upon the appropriate treatment options. Depending on what they find, this may suggest certain medications or they also may suggest relaxation techniques to avoid scratching at your head to the point where scabs are forming and you are causing harm to yourself. Less likely causes for these findings could be dry scalp which can cause itchiness and scabbing with time as well as other less likely conditions. Again, it is advisable that you see your doctor who will best be able to examine you and understand the underlying cause for these symptoms and decide upon the appropriate treatment options.