ZocdocAnswersWhat over the counter medications are good for arthritis?

Question

What over the counter medications are good for arthritis?

I have arthritis in my knee and tendinitis in both feet what medicine can I buy

Answer

While the answer to your question does depend somewhat on what type of arthritis you have, I think that I will be able to help you with some information. Keep in mind that any medication whether it can be obtained over the counter or by prescription must be cleared by your doctor as every drug can have side effects and there are no medications that can be taken by everybody. For the most part acetaminophen is the most benign medication that can be purchased over-the-counter and used for arthritis or tendinitis. This is a drug that can be effective for mild pain and usually is only a problem for people that have some type of liver disease. If you have never been diagnosed with a liver disease, then acetaminophen may be your best bet. Most doctors recommend that patients take no more than 3 to 4 g per day total. Another good medication or class of medications for arthritis and tendinitis are the non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen and naproxen which can both be purchased over-the-counter. Patients with a history of stomach ulcers or kidney disease should not take these. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to find out which over-the-counter medications best for you.