ZocdocAnswersWhat over the counter medications are good for arthritis?

Question

What over the counter medications are good for arthritis?

I have arthritis in my knee and tendinitis in both feet what medicine can I buy

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question, and I am sorry to hear about these medical issues you are enduring. In order to provide a safe and accurate recommendation, a physician would need to know the full details of your medical history and perform a detailed physical exam. You may also require additional testing. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. Only after collecting more information will it be possible to proceed. There are many different forms of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition caused by breakdown of a joint over time. Patients with this disorder often require analgesics, physical therapy, and potentially joint replacement surgery. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorders that causes a different form of joint destruction. This is typically a progressive process with devastating results. Patients require immunosuppressants to prevent further joint destruction. Joint pain can also be caused by muscle injury, a neurologic disorder, or other autoimmune disorders. All over the counter analgesics have potentially severe side effects that can impact the health of your livers, kidneys, stomach, and heart. As such, it is necessary to know more information about your overall health. I encourage you to see a primary care provider to further evaluate this issue.