ZocdocAnswersCould pain during sex be due to my vaginal wall?

Question

Could pain during sex be due to my vaginal wall?

My boyfriend and I just started having sex in August, it was my first time and of course it hurt a little but we have sex at least like 1 every week or over every other week. Everytime we do doggie style he seems to hit the wall or something and it hurts when he goes fast its like a shocking pain and than he stops and it goes away. I have asked my friends about it and they don't know the feeling. He's penis isn't very big either but its not small. Is this because of the vaginal wall?

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another doctor focused primarily in women's health issues, such as an OB/GYN. The pain that you are describing is not uncommon, and most likely related to the discomfort related to pressure upon the nearby regions in your pelvis, specifically your bladder. It is not uncommon for women to have an uncomfortable feeling, such as that of having to urinate, which is relieved when the pressure has stopped. Sometimes this can be relieved by urinating prior to sexual intercourse, but this doesn't always work. It may be best that you work with your boyfriend to find positions that are comfortable for you and him. Of course, it is also very important that you and your boyfriend use appropriate barrier methods to avoid pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases if you are not trying to become pregnant. Of course, there is a small but possible chance that this could be something more serious than what was described above and for this reason it is important that you are evaluated by a doctor who can best answer these questions and check to make sure nothing serious is going on.