ZocdocAnswersWhat is a genital sore that is not sexually transmitted?

Question

What is a genital sore that is not sexually transmitted?

Hi. There's a red lump on my my penis with a tiny white lump on the top of it. I'm not sexually active so I know it's not an STD. It hurts but there are no other symptoms. It's been 6 days since I first noticed it. What is it? How can it be treated? Should I tell my GP about it?

Answer

If you are concerned about a lesion on your penis, I recommend that you see your primary care doctor or other healthcare professional for formal evaluation. There are many causes for skin lesions, some benign and others more serious. As you mention, sexually transmitted diseases are some of the most common causes of genital sores. These may include in men genital warts, which appear as a cauliflower like indurated growth that can affect anywhere in the genital area that was exposed. Transmission of warts from other parts of the body, or another persons body, may result in genital wart growth. Herpes can cause blistering and weeping wounds in the genitals that can be very painful. Herpes most commonly affects the oral and genital regions and transfer between sites is possible. Non-sexual causes of skin lesions can include trauma to the area resulting in bruising, swelling scabbing. Moles or freckles can develop in the genital area as well. Abnormal dark appearing growths should be seen by a doctor and monitored for abnormal degeneration. Fungal infections of the genital area is possible, and may be associated with itching and a rash. This is often associated with individuals that play sports or do not wash regularly. Finally, it is possible to develop a local follicular infection, such a pimple or ingrown hear, which may present as a raised red sore with a whitehead tip, suggesting underlying pus.