ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean when you bleed 2 hours after sex?

Question

What does it mean when you bleed 2 hours after sex?

My period stopped a couple days ago an today me any boyfriend had sex then a couple hours later I started bleeding

Answer

If you have having unexpected bleeding for your genitalia, I recommend that follow up with a gynecologist or primary care doctor for further evaluation, and treatment if necessary. Vaginal bleeding after sexual intercourse is usually a result of local trauma. The risk of trauma is increased with prolonged or more forceful intercourse, as well as the use of foreign objects to facilitate intercourse. It is important that if you feel uncomfortable in your physical relationship to speak with a healthcare professional immediately for help and resources. Often a small amount of bleeding after intercourse that resolves on its own represents a local injury that will likely heal. However, continued bleeding or new vaginal pain require further evaluation. On occasion, the simultaneous presence of sexually transmitted diseases, such as a chlamydia or gonorrhea, can cause cervicitis, or inflammation of the cervix, which can increase the risk of bleeding from the vaginal vault with mechanical stimulation. Sometimes bleeding can be due to dryness during intercourse, resulting in friction and tearing of the skin surfaces. This can be ameliorated by use of lubricants that can be applied to the genitalia prior to the initiation of intercourse in order to reduce abrasive rubbing of surfaces. Again, please speak with a gynecologist or primary care doctor.