I took out a ear wax blockage out of my ears and my ear been really itchy. What should I do?

I don't Have ear wax it's just like dust
I am sorry to hear that you had an ear wax blockage and after you removed it your ear has been itchy, and you are worried about what you should do about it. I can give you my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose throat) physician to get evaluated. This is because they will be able to take more of a history from you, and examine you, including otoscopy (using a scope to look in your ear). As an ENT, with the short history that you gave me, the ear exam is going to give the most information about what is going on, and what to to about it. It is possible that you had a cerumen impaction (dry ball of ear wax that is obstructing the outer ear canal) and that once it came out the EAC (external auditory canal) is irritated. There are a number of different nerves that innervate the ear canal, which makes it very sensitive. I am not sure how you got the ear wax out of your ear, but it is also possible that you had some wax that came out of your ear, but some that is remaining and is irritating the skin in the canal. The ENT will be able to look and see what is going on, and if there is cerumen present, they will be able to remove it for you. This is preferable to using Q-tips, because often times Q-tips remove some of the wax, but continually push wax deeper in your EAC.

• Dr. John Gilmore
    Dr. John Gilmore MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10740 N. Central Expressway
    Dallas, TX 75231
  • Dr. John Siddoway
    Dr. John Siddoway MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4650 Harrison Blvd
    Ogden, UT 84403
  • Dr. Nadim Bikhazi
    Dr. Nadim Bikhazi MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4650 Harrison Blvd
    Ogden, UT 84403