ZocdocAnswersWhat could be causing the following symptoms: increased fatigue, increase in belching and gas?

Question

What could be causing the following symptoms: increased fatigue, increase in belching and gas?

Within a couple minutes of eating I start experiencing what I think is gas - I don't actually release anything (I hold it in mostly) but there is rumbling and squeaky sounds from what feels and seems like is coming from my anul area and it will gets louder and worse if I continue eating, and will eventually result in me feeling like I have to make a bowel movement (which may or may not occur, I just may end up releasing gas). I also feel like I have less energy lately; I need more sleep and get tired quicker than usual. I have an increase in releasing gas and belching. This has been going on for about a couple of months and most times I cant eat without having these weird sounds coming from my bottom or stomach. It has happened in the morning also before I even eat. I feel like I have to make a bowel movement almost every day before it was only 1-3x a week! Thank you so much!

Answer

This is a great question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your appointment, he or she may order additional testing such as blood work, stool samples, or imaging of your abdomen. Excess gas and fatigue can be the result of many different conditions. Irritable bowel syndrome is a condition that is fairly common and is associated with alternating constipation and diarrhea, bloating, gassiness, and fatigue. There is no cure but it can be very effectively managed with diet and medications. Lactose intolerance can also cause your symptoms so you may want to try eliminating dairy completely from your diet for a few weeks. Celiac disease, intolerance to gluten, can also cause your symptoms. Again, it is very important to seek medical care as soon as possible to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment for your symptoms. In the meantime, try to avoid gassy foods such as beans, cheese, vegetables, soft drinks, and fruit juices. Also, try not to chew gum and eat your food slowly to avoid inhaling excess air. Also get plenty of rest.