ZocdocAnswersFor the last two weeks, I am having headaches that last from when I wake up until sleep. Is there something wrong with me?

Question

For the last two weeks, I am having headaches that last from when I wake up until sleep. Is there something wrong with me?

Ive taken Ibuprofen, excedrin, advil and motrin nothing works. I am 19 years old

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or neurologist who can obtain a complete history and physical examination and decide upon whether these headaches are normal or whether they are associated with something more concerning that may require further work-up, such as an imaging study or other diagnostic testing. There is not enough information provided to adequately elucidate the cause of your headaches, but there are several causes of headache that you may be having that your doctor can describe to you further. One possibility is that you are having headaches related to migraines, tension headaches, dehydration headaches, or withdrawal headaches (if you drink caffeine or take medications that you have recently stopped taking) which may all be causing the headaches that you describe. The fact that you have these at night that wake you up from sleep is somewhat concerning and based upon the rest of your examination, your doctor may want to perform some further imaging studies to make sure there isn't a mass lesion that is causing the symptoms that you are experiencing. If that is the case, surgery to remove the lesion may be required.