ZocdocAnswersHow do I treat a sprained foot?

Question

How do I treat a sprained foot?

I stepped down a curb wrong a few days ago, heard a loud crack, and went down. The emergency room dr. told me I could have a jones fracture but the x-rays didn't show a fracture so he sent me home diagnosed w/a sprain and gave me pain meds. I can't turn my foot inwards or outwards (side to side), am unable to walk w/out a cane and have been experiencing more and more pain over the days. I don't know what to do with it and have no idea how to make it better or if I should see my doctor to get a brace or anything else.

Answer

This is a good question. Due to the fact that you are having increasing pain, it is extremely important that you make an appointment with your doctor. You could see your primary care doctor or make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor. A sprain should be gradually getting better if treated properly, not getting worse. Your doctor will likely order additional imaging, such as repeat x-rays or an MRI or bone scan to make sure there is nothing else going on such as a Jones fracture which can sometimes be difficult to see. It is very important that you are keeping your foot elevated as much as possible to help with the swelling and are icing it multiple times a day. The emergency room likely also prescribed an anti-inflammatory so it is important to take this as directed. Even if there is no fracture, sometimes wearing a splint or brace can be very helpful to stabilize the foot and ankle. Once your foot is starting to heal your doctor will likely prescribe strengthening exercises or have you do a course of physical therapy. Again, it is very important to see your doctor to get an appropriate diagnosis and treatment.