ZocdocAnswersWhy am I passing out?

Question

Why am I passing out?

I have woken up in the mornings feeling light headed,not all there,and then ten minutes later i start to get weak and then my knees get weak and i almost pass out

Answer

You wake up in the mornings with symptoms of "almost passing out". Almost passing out is also known as pre syncope. Syncope is when someone actually "passes out". There are many causes for pre syncope and syncope and I recommend you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your symptoms evaluated.The possible causes of your symptoms could be orthostatic hypotension or hypotension or arrhythmia. Orthostatic hypotension occurs when you are in sitting or laying down position and then you suddenly get up. This position change causes your blood pressure to drop which can cause hypoperfusion to the brain. Your heart normally compensates for the low blood pressures with a faster heart rate; however, if someone's heart does not compensate fully, someone develops orthostatic hypotension. It could also be related to hypotension. Both could be caused by dehydration or blood loss. When you do not have enough fluid in your blood vessels, your blood pressure can be low. People with these conditions have the prodrome which are the symptoms you get before you pass out. These are lightheadedness, dizziness, and tingling. Other dangerous conditions to rule out are heart conditions such as arrhythmias. Again, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. They may perform simple blood tests and possibly a EKG to check your heart.