ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have such bad knee, hip and foot pain?

Question

Why do I have such bad knee, hip and foot pain?

I am 26 years old. I work two jobs where I stand all day. My right hip, knee and foot have intense pain. I have tried ibuprofen and aleve. I have also tried to ice them. I cannot lay down. I have been sleeping in a recliner.

Answer

I'm sorry to hear about your lower extremity pain. Before we discuss your symptoms, it is important to consult your own physician or orthopaedic or neurosurgical spine surgeon for definitive evaluation and treatment. Without being able to personally examine you or get some imaging, it is difficult to diagnose you certainly. That said, based on your description of symptoms, I'm suspicious that your hip, knee and foot pains may be coming from your spine. The fact that all of your pain is on one side suggests that you have radiculopathy, or nerve irritation coming from your spine. You are young to have radiculopathy but this may be from a previous lower back injury. The nerve irritation can come from either disc herniations, arthritis or abnormal curvature. Since nerve roots branch off of your spinal cord and drape down your leg, any boney abnormalities of your lumbar spine can irritate these nerve roots, and hence cause you pain, numbness and tingling in your hip, knee and foot. I would strongly recommend that you follow up with your physician or orthopaedic or neurosurgical spine surgeon. I would even recommend going to the emergency room if your symptoms change or worsen. Worsening symptoms including increased pain, numbness, tingling, or even bowel and bladder symptoms.