Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is the remedy if ESR is high?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is the remedy if ESR is high?


Sir My wife age is 32 she recently has done blood test and got ESR as 120 she frequently fall ill and suffering from leg pains and body pains and sore throat we consulted doctor and he said some infection is hidden but not coming out i am much worried about her health can any one suggest remedies


The best thing to do in this situation is to discuss your concerns with your primary care doctor. Generally speaking, let me start of by explaining what ESR is so that you can better understand how to interpret this value. The ESR stands for erythrocyte sedimentation rate. It is just the speed at which red blood cells fall to the bottom of a tube when the tube is standing up right. It's a kind of arbitrary thing to measure, but it turns out that the faster this rate the more generalized inflammation is going on in the body. The ESR level does not tell you if you have an infection, an inflammatory disorder, or an injury. It just tells you that the immune system is working overtime and fighting something. In the case of your wife's ESR, this value is very high. It is so high that it screams that something is going on. I think infection is possible and she should have the usual infectious workup including blood cultures and a chest x-ray especially if she has a fever. The other consultation you probably need is a consultation with a rheumatologist. A condition such as a vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels) or lupus (inflammation of many different parts of the body) or rheumatoid arthritis (inflammation of the joints) are all conditions that cause widespread inflammation. I would schedule an appointment with either your primary care doctor or a rheumatologist right away.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.