ZocdocAnswersDo I have strep throat?

Question

Do I have strep throat?

I have a fever that hovers from 97 - 103 and my throat hurts alot, this is the fourth day, and my nose is either stuffed or runny and my throat feels swelled up because when I eat or drink it feels like the food or drink stops and moves slowly right where the sorness is.

Answer

It is important that you be evaluated by your doctor. Strep throat can be diagnosed using several criteria. The first criteria is the presence of a very sore throat along with white exudates or a whitish material in back of the throat. The second criteria is a fever which you seem to have. The third criteria is tender neck lymph nodes. These are usually found by a physician examining the patient's neck. Finally, we look for the absence of a cough. This is because the presence of a cough is usually predictive of a viral upper respiratory tract infection which is the most common cause of a sore throat not caused by strep. Certainly the presence of a stuffy nose in your case would speak against strep, but certainly does not rule it out. In your case, I would look closely at the back of your throat and if I felt at all that your tonsils looked swollen with any white exudates I would likely test you for strep. A rapid strep test can be done very quickly and most general physician's office and if positive then you can get a prescription for antibiotics. It is important that you do this in a timely manner because not getting treated for a strep infection can lead to other complications such as rheumatic fever. In the meantime, while you're waiting to see your doctor, make sure to cover your mouth when you cough and try to stay away from small children.