Why am I bleeding two days after sex?

I had sex two days ago with my boyfriend. This morning, I went to the bathroom, and discovered that I had started bleeding light-red. I wasn't bleeding prior to using the restroom. I also ended my period a little over a week ago.
There are several reasons why you could be bleeding, and it is important to speak with your OB/GYN. First, it is possible that you are starting your period a little bit earlier. This is of course the most common cause of vaginal bleeding. If you have engaged in unprotected sex it is also possible that you have become pregnant. After conception, sometimes women experience a small amount of bleeding after implantation. This can be confusing and lead some women to believe that they have started their cycle and that they are not pregnant. The other possibility, is that you've developed a small amount of trauma in the setting of sexual intercourse that is resulting in a small amount of bleeding now. This is a bit unusual as most women that experience bleeding after intercourse do so immediately instead of a few days later. Usually when women experience bleeding after sexual intercourse it is due to the breaking of small blood vessels at the end of the cervix. These blood vessels are quite fragile and often pop during intercourse. For any type of vaginal bleeding that goes without explanation, you should always schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. Abnormal vaginal bleeding always warrants an exam and likely your doctor will be able to tell you exactly what's going on.

Nearby OB-GYNs