ZocdocAnswersI have roughness inside my mouth, on my inner cheek. What could be the cause and treatment?

Question

I have roughness inside my mouth, on my inner cheek. What could be the cause and treatment?

Dear doctor, i have roughness inside my mouth for a smaller part inner cheek. Please let me know what may be the cause and the traetment

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have roughness on what sounds like your buccal mucosa (the inner part of your cheek) and that it is bothering you enough to seek medical help. I am happy to give you some of my thoughts about what might be going on, as well as what may need to be done, however ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to examine you and take more of a medical history (which I am unable to do in this setting) which will help narrow down the differential diagnosis and give you the most accurate diagnosis as possible. There are many different conditions that can cause swelling and irregularity of the buccal mucosa. They can range from anything as benign as chronic dental trauma (which is a hyperkeratotic raised lesion along the mucosa on the inner aspect of your cheek where your teeth come together) to a cancer (such as squamous cell carcinoma. One thing that the physician will want to know is whether you are a smoker since smoking is the biggest risk factor for head and neck cancer. I hope that you get the answers you are looking for when you see the ENT. Best of luck.