ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have lower back pains?

Question

Why do I have lower back pains?

I've been having bad back pains, very lower back where the spine ends.it feels physically as if the end of the spine is shifted to the side.and it is very painful to sit straight.What could it possibly be?

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor as he or she will best be able to evaluate you with a complete physical and history, and then decide whether further testing is warranted such as blood tests or imaging studies. Unfortunately, there is not enough information in the history you provided to be able to deduce the cause of this lower back pain, and so this is why it is prudent to see a medical professional. In general, there can be many causes for back pain, which include mechanical back pain related to the muscles, bones and nerves in the lower back, kidney issues, hip joint issues, and a host of other causes that are beyond the scope of this discussion. Make sure that when you are evaluated by your medical professional, you describe any other medical issues you have, as this may help ascertain the cause of this pain that you have been having. Also, have you had any trauma to your lower back, as sometimes this can cause a small fracture at the end of the spine which usually is treated conservatively. Infections can also sometimes cause this pain, especially if there is an infection surrounding the nerves or in the disc of the spine. Your doctor will best be able to find this.