ZocdocAnswersCould I have a concussion?

Question

Could I have a concussion?

I hit my head last night onthe wall while walking to my bed. I felt ok thenbut when i woke up thus morning i felt nausiated and couldnt eat breakfast, i was forgetful (i forgot that my dad had come to wake me up), i was tired, but got realy annoyed at my sister when she played her music and i have a headache and my head is tender where i hit it if i touch, and feels hot even when im not touching it. Could i have a concusion?

Answer

Thank you very much for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your injury. I would strongly recommend that you be seen by your primary care physician or by your neurologist, but here are some general considerations. Concussions can be caused by direct blows to the head, face, neck, or other locations on the body where the force is suddenly transmitted to the head. The cardinal symptoms are confusion and amnesia, and this often occurs with loss of consciousness. The other symptoms evolve over minutes to hours. Within minutes many patients note dizziness, headache, nausea, or vomiting. Within hours to days, patients may note sleep disturbances, sensitivity to light or sound, or mood disturbances. Many of your symptoms, therefore, would fit in with a concussion. Although you did not mention any immediate loss of consciousness or symptoms within minutes, it is possible that your memory of the event is limited, especially as amnesia can be such a prominent symptoms in concussion. There are other causes of primary headaches, including cluster, tension, and migraines, that are less likely given your history of trauma. Likewise, there are causes of nausea and vomiting, often infectious, that are also less likely in this case. Again, I would strongly recommend that you be seen by your primary care physician for further evaluation.