ZocdocAnswersI was tested positive for HSV1 AND HSV2. Could I be a false positive?

Question

I was tested positive for HSV1 AND HSV2. Could I be a false positive?

I am 26 years old white femele. iwas tested positive for HSV1 and 2. I have often cold, i had chickenpox and couple times shingles. Is it possible that having cold,chickenpox and couple times chingles may couse false result of the test as i never had herpes or any symptoms.

Answer

You should schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor who can perform a good oral and genital exam. Generally speaking, the results of your HSV-1 and HSV-2 testing is not the result of any infection you had with the varicella-zoster virus that causes chickenpox and shingles. Most HSV-1 and HSV to testing looks for the antibody that the immune system creates against the virus when you are exposed. Having been exposed to both the HSV-1 and HSV-2 viruses does not necessarily mean that you will manifest any specific symptoms related to this infection later in life. It merely means that your body saw the virus at one time. Certainly there is a chance that with no current symptoms the virus is lying dormant in your body and can reactivate at a later date. This is how HSV-1 and HSV-2 infections work. It also cannot be determined where these lesions would occur if they were to occur at all. Certainly HSV-1 lesions more often come on the mouth and HSV-2 lesions more often come on the genitals. If you would like to find out if you have any active lesions, this will require an examination by a physician. You should schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor who can perform a good oral and genital exam. Without any symptoms it is unlikely that any lesions will be seen. If lesions do show up someday there are medications that can help suppress the breakups breakouts.