How beneficial is 3D CT surgical planning for Orthognathic surgery?

Hi, I have a Class II malocclusion with anterior open bite. I have been preparing for surgery for almost one year (braces). My teeth are now positioned properly for double jaw surgery. My surgeon has given me the option between having 3D CT planning, or traditional planning. He slightly prefers the 3D CT method but says it is up to me. In your opinion, how beneficial is 3D CT planning for jaw surgery vs. traditional (using X-rays and models)?
Excellent question. In general, this will depend mostly on surgeon preference and training, and most surgeons will have a plan or particular approach that they favor. So it is important to speak with your surgeon. The choice of using high quality imaging is one that is becoming more popular in some centers, but most surgeons have extensive training both with and without the use of these techniques. Due to the measurements that are required in forming a plan for this sort of surgery, and the time and effort that goes into it, your surgeon will need to make sure that the approach is well thought out and will need to have models constructed beforehand. There is some literature that can be construed to suggest that one method is superior to the other, but in the end both can be very effective for most surgeons. More than anything, it will depend on what your surgeon is comfortable with. Additionally, it may matter whether or not there is an extra charge with one option over the other. In the end, this is something that should be discussed with your surgeon. If you have any further questions about it, your surgeon should be able to help you decide what is best for you. Please speak with your surgeon.