ZocdocAnswersWhy do I keep having sharp pains in my chest, stomach and back?

Question

Why do I keep having sharp pains in my chest, stomach and back?

I was sleep this pain woke me up out of my sleep and when I lay on my left side its fine but when I lay on my right side i have to sit up & when I sit up I have pain in my back & chest

Answer

You have chest, back, and stomach pains with position changes. There could be a number of causes for these symptoms. Unfortunately, it will be hard to narrow down the possibilities since I do not know your medical history and background. That is why it is important to speak with your primary care doctor as soon as possible. The conditions to rule out whenever you have chest pain is a heart attack. Also, a dissection should be ruled out since you also have back pain and stomach pain. A heart attack is also known as a myocardial infarction. It is caused by block arteries in the heart. When someone has a heart attack, they can have symptoms of pressure like chest pain, nausea, vomiting, and radiating pain in the left arm and jaw. An aortic dissection is when a a layer of this large vessel splits apart and can cause sharp chest and back pain. Other possible causes of your positional chest and back pain could be a condition called pericarditis, which is inflammation around the layer surrounding your heart. It could be caused by inflammatory or infectious causes. Another possibility is indigestion, which can cause burning chest pain and a sour taste in the mouth and is worse when laying flat. You should make an appointment to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. If you symptoms are severe, you should find your local emergency room.