ZocdocAnswersHow can I treat an STD while travelling abroad?

Question

How can I treat an STD while travelling abroad?

I'm traveling remotely and I believe I may have contracted an STD. The symptoms are white vaginal discharge, vaginal swelling and irritation. I don't have access to a medical facility but I have doxycycline and ciprofloxacin on hand. I was thinking I should take the doxy, but also contemplating taking both together. What do you think?

Answer

I recommend that you see your primary care doctor. Generally speaking, your symptoms do not sound like a sexually transmitted infection. Your symptoms sound much more like a yeast infection. White discharge combined with vaginal irritation is almost always a yeast infection. The only kind of STD that causes vaginal discharge is chlamydia or gonorrhea. This usually does not cause vaginal irritation the way you describe. In addition the discharges not usually white which is usually indicative of yeast. In addition, the doxycycline and the ciprofloxacin would not do you any good if you are not treating the right bacteria. Even if you did contract an STD you would not know what bug you contracted and therefore would not know what medication you should take. Neither the doxycycline nor the ciprofloxacin are typically used to treat chlamydia and gonorrhea which would be the most likely things for you to get when you were abroad. Thus, I have to recommend that you see a health care professional as soon as possible whether it's overseas were back here at home. Again, I think that you should see your primary care doctor. He or she will need to perform a pelvic exam and examination of the discharge that you're having in order to tell what is causing your infection. Good luck.