ZocdocAnswersWhat could cause my large intestine to bulge ?

Question

What could cause my large intestine to bulge ?

On my left side in the area of under my ribs to my left hip i can literally feel my large intestine. Its to the point where if you take ur fingers and touch the area in pain you can follow the intestine..and when you do it feels like a thick tube. It causes pain where it feels like its pushing so hard up to my skin and sometimes its hard to move/bend. I dont know if it matters but my bowel movements are and pretty much always have been irregular, most months its normal to only go three times , if that.

Answer

Your description sounds like it could be a possible hernia, however you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor first to determine if it is indeed a hernia. A hernia is an outpouching of the intestine. There are several types of hernias. Most of them outpouch through the umbilical region, femoral region, and inguinal region. It is due to weakening of the abdominal wall structures. There are some signs that can indicate that you may have a hernia. You have a bulge that you can feel and pain when you are bending over, which are concerning signs of a hernia. You can also press on your groin region, where leg joins the hip, and cough. If you feel an outpouching when you cough, that could also be a sign that you may have a hernia. Moreover, if you push the "bulge" back in, and the discomfort resolves, that is also a sign. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor first to determine if it is indeed a hernia. It can be diagnosed simply with a physical exam. Your doctor can also listen over that bulge for bowel sounds. Some concerning signs to look for in the meantime are vomiting, nausea, not passing gas, distended abdomen and severe pain. If you have any of the signs mentioned above, you should go to the emergency room.