Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What could cause my large intestine to bulge ?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat could cause my large intestine to bulge ?


On my left side in the area of under my ribs to my left hip i can literally feel my large intestine. Its to the point where if you take ur fingers and touch the area in pain you can follow the intestine..and when you do it feels like a thick tube. It causes pain where it feels like its pushing so hard up to my skin and sometimes its hard to move/bend. I dont know if it matters but my bowel movements are and pretty much always have been irregular, most months its normal to only go three times , if that.


Your description sounds like it could be a possible hernia, however you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor first to determine if it is indeed a hernia. A hernia is an outpouching of the intestine. There are several types of hernias. Most of them outpouch through the umbilical region, femoral region, and inguinal region. It is due to weakening of the abdominal wall structures. There are some signs that can indicate that you may have a hernia. You have a bulge that you can feel and pain when you are bending over, which are concerning signs of a hernia. You can also press on your groin region, where leg joins the hip, and cough. If you feel an outpouching when you cough, that could also be a sign that you may have a hernia. Moreover, if you push the "bulge" back in, and the discomfort resolves, that is also a sign. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor first to determine if it is indeed a hernia. It can be diagnosed simply with a physical exam. Your doctor can also listen over that bulge for bowel sounds. Some concerning signs to look for in the meantime are vomiting, nausea, not passing gas, distended abdomen and severe pain. If you have any of the signs mentioned above, you should go to the emergency room.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.