ZocdocAnswersI had unprotected sex yesterday. When should I take the morning pill?

Question

I had unprotected sex yesterday. When should I take the morning pill?

how many days should i wait to take the morning pill. I didnt take it yet i will tomorrow

Answer

That is a great question and one that should be discussed at length with your primary care doctor or OB/GYN. Although it is called the morning after pill, it has been noted to have potential efficacy up to 5 days after the date of conception, although there are some studies that show that it has a decreased efficacy as you wait to take it. The more important discussion here, and the one that you should have with your primary care doctor is what options you have with regards to contraception, such as condoms, birth control pills, intrauterine devices (IUDs), and other options, and it is important that you have this discussion with your primary care doctor or other medical professional soon. Condoms have a very high rate of preventing unwanted pregnancy and when combined with oral birth control pills, this rate becomes even higher. Condoms are also able to protect from STDs, which many of the other birth control options do not. Depending on the type of relationship you have, and your sexual activity, your PCP can help you choose from these options. You may also need to be tested for STDs by your physician because of the unprotected sex.