ZocdocAnswersAfter recovering from Mononucleosis, how long should I wait until kissing?

Question

After recovering from Mononucleosis, how long should I wait until kissing?

I don't feel any symptoms and I was only in need of be dress for about two weeks

Answer

I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Unfortunately, it is not known exactly how long it takes for someone who has been infected with the EBV virus to no longer be contagious. However, we do know that probably shortly after you no longer have any symptoms the chances of transmission of the virus start to go down quite a bit. Certainly while you are sick, you are more likely to be shedding virus into your saliva which can result in more likely transmissions to people that you kiss. In my practice, I generally tell my patients to wait 1 to 2 weeks after they have recovered to begin having physical contact with other people. This just helps me to make sure that their risk of transmitting the virus to another person is as low as possible. However, in truth even this recommendation is not ironclad and it is certainly possible that somebody that is one to two weeks out from having mononucleosis will still be contagious. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You probably deserve to have a physical exam of both your lymph nodes in your neck and your spleen to see how you're doing well recovering from mononucleosis. In addition, the two of you can discuss how long it will take for you to be able to engage in kissing again.