ZocdocAnswersMy tubes are tied and the results of a blood test and ultrasound were negative, but I still haven't had my period and pregnancy tests are coming out positive. What could be going on?

Question

My tubes are tied and the results of a blood test and ultrasound were negative, but I still haven't had my period and pregnancy tests are coming out positive. What could be going on?

Ok I went to the hospital a week ago yesterday for very bad pains in lower abdomen, I was a week late on my period so i wondered abt eptopic because I havnt had a late period in years and my tubes are tied they did blood work even an ultrasound not pregnant now I still havnt had a period last time i had intercourse was around the first of October took a preg test today its positive went and bought two more diff brands all positive what could be going on now the ultrasound was jus a abdomen ultrasound and I am a lil heavy with a tilted uterus could it have been missed or is something else wrong

Answer

It sounds like this has been a frustrating experience for you over the last several weeks, especially as you were initially concerned about a pregnancy. At this point, the best thing for you to do is make an appointment with your OB/GYN for a thorough evaluation. If your period is late consistent with an unprotected sexual encounter and you are having multiple positive home pregnancy tests, then pregnancy is the most likely explanation for your symptoms until definitively proven otherwise - and an abdominal ultrasound is not sufficient to do this. Pregnancy can only be ruled out with a blood HcG test and potentially a pelvic ultrasound. An abdominal ultrasound in the early stages of pregnancy would not show anything, and if the test is done too early based upon the date of conception, then even a blood HcG test can also be a false negative. Although tubal ligation is almost always able to prevent pregnancy, as you already know, nothing is 100% and it is possible--albeit rare--for women who have had this procedure to still become pregnant. For your safety and to help you make the very best decisions for your health, it is important to see a proper OB/GYN as soon as possible to truly rule out pregnancy.