ZocdocAnswersI having upper left back pain, my stomach is upset (without vomiting or diarrhea), and fatigue. What is wrong with me?

Question

I having upper left back pain, my stomach is upset (without vomiting or diarrhea), and fatigue. What is wrong with me?

It has lasted 2 days now, I've taken Emetrol, heating pads, and rest, fluids and light eating.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations, I would need more information than that provided in your questions. A doctor would need to perform a thorough history and physical exam and review your prior records. In addition, you may need other testing. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. After collecting this information, the doctor can make recommendations on how best to proceed. Back pain has many potential causes. Pain is most commonly caused by musculoskeletal injury, such as a muscle strain or bone bruise. However, some more serious disorders, such as a heart attack, can cause both back pain as well as nausea and vomiting. An aortic dissection, or tear in the lining of the large artery feeding your entire body, can cause a tearing pain between the shoulder blades. Impaired perfusion of your intestines in this condition can also cause nausea and vomiting. Nausea and vomiting also have their own list of potential triggers, including viral and bacterial infections, intestinal blockage, and gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is not possible to know from your question which you are suffering from, and I strongly encourage you to see a primary care doctor.