search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a perfect diet plan but I am still under weight. Is that normal?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a perfect diet plan but I am still under weight. Is that normal?

Question

19 year girl having perfect diet but still underweight.. 50kg for a height of 5.7

Answer

This is an interesting problem and I recommend that you discuss it with your doctor. I am not sure what you mean when you say that you have a perfect diet. Does this mean that you have a well balanced and rounded diet? Does this mean that you are eating exactly the right number of calories? What exactly do you mean by a perfect diet? For most body types, there is no one perfect diet plan. A healthy diet can vary considerably, and contain a wide range of foods. The key to maintaining a healthy weight is to match caloric intake with caloric expenditure. Especially for teenagers and young people, the amount of calories that are expended during growth of the body can be quite high. Additionally, the amount of calories that are burned in other manners can be high, leading some people to ingest high amounts of calories and not gain weight. Most doctors would not usually advise a person to increase calories just to gain weight unless there was more to the story. In general, as people age, their metabolic rate will slow and they will begin to gain weight if nothing else in their diet changes. If you have concerns with your weight or diet, please speak with your doctor.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances