Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is there anything I can do to prevent warts coming back in the urethra?"

ZocdocAnswersIs there anything I can do to prevent warts coming back in the urethra?


I just had surgery two days ago for removing a pretty good size wart from inside my penis and a couple other small ones in the same area as well. This is my second time having this surgery had the first one about six months ago and within a week of healing already noticed warts reappearing. These procedures are getting very expensive and they were removed both times by co2 laser so the penis has to have time to heal before they can do that again. My question is.. is their anything i can do to prevent these from coming back in the urethra. I know their is no cure for hpv but i worry that the urethra is a moist area and they will just keep coming back. Is their anything i can do to help make this virus dormant?


Thank you for your question. The best thing to do in this situation is to speak with your doctor. While it is nice that there are things that can be done to remove the lesions and papillomas when they arise, you are correct in noting the concerns that are present when they return. I am sorry to hear that they have returned so quickly in your case. You are also correct that the human papilloma virus itself does tend to become something that some people can have to deal with indefinitely once affected. Fortunately, for most people the warts will eventually slow down with regards to how fast they return. This may have something to do with your own immune system and how long it takes for you to overcome or block the virus itself. There are also medications that can help some people or be applied by yourself in a less expensive fashion, and vaccines that can prevent the virus in some situations. While this might not be effective or relevant in your specific situation, your doctor will likely have some additional suggestions. Your situation is not unique, and it can be very frustrating to have these return so quickly. Please discuss this question with your doctor (urologist, likely) and consider additional options if he or she has any additional recommendations.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.