ZocdocAnswersCluster of small painless bumps at bottom of mouth arch near tongue. I have genital warts - could this be oral warts?

Question

Cluster of small painless bumps at bottom of mouth arch near tongue. I have genital warts - could this be oral warts?

Hi, I have a small cluster of 3 small gum coloured bumps at the bottom of my right side mouth arch right where the tongue meets (but not on tongue) - they're not red - they blend in with my mouth but I don't have any on the other side. I have genital warts - could this be oral warts?! Thankyou.

Answer

Thanks for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. Small bumps in the mouth can come from many different things. Small, benign looking growths are sometimes referred to as papillomas, although they can come from many different things. Sometimes they are related to the human papilloma virus, a virus that can be spread by many forms of contact (with some of the strains of the virus causing warts and other strains causing oral and cervical cancer). Other viruses can also cause changes to the mucosa of the mouth, such as the virus that causes genital herpes and the virus that causes cold sores. Sometimes these growths are not related to a virus at all, and come from other things such as repeated trauma. There are many other explanations as well, some of which can be benign and others of which can be quite concerning and require more aggressive treatment. Your doctor will be able to help you determine if you need further therapy, most often simply with an examination and a thorough history, ie, asking regarding other symptoms you may have had. An ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA Otolaryngologist) is likely the best place to start. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.