I took extra zoloft, will I be okay?

Hello, I know it was stupid but tonight I took 400mg of zoloft. I am only prescribed to take 100mg. I have also only been taking 100mg for a week, before that I was only taking 50mg. I am 5'5.5", 135lbs, 20 years old, and a female. Should I be worried of side effects? What should I do? Are there things I should avoid like going to bed? I was already feeling sick today so it is hard to tell if I am experiencing side effects or if I am just sick. Thank you
Anytime you take more medication than you were prescribed, especially when it's four times the recommended dose, you should all always either call your primary care doctor to discuss the issue or go directly to an emergency department. In this case, taking this much is Zoloft one time (statistically) is unlikely to do you significant harm. The drug will wash out of your system within a day and if it didn't cause any problems early on it won't cause any problems in the future. The main toxicity associated with taking this much Zoloft is something we call serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome is a condition that is most often caused by overdose of medications such as Zoloft and is characterized by fevers, sweating, and confusion. Serotonin syndrome can be life-threatening and is not something to be managed at home. This is why I would urge you to always be seen by a medical professional when you have taken too much of this type of medication. Another option is that when you realize that you took too much of a medication, you can always call poison control which is a service that can give you advice on what to do in certain situations.

• Dr. Ruben Ruiz
    Dr. Ruben Ruiz MD
    3012 San Gabriel Blvd.
    Rosemead, CA 91770
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021