Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Swollen penis and can't get erection, what could be the cause?"

ZocdocAnswersSwollen penis and can't get erection, what could be the cause?


Okay so this problem just came up today. I went through my whole day as normal with normal erections and everything. I came home and at dinner: I had macaroni and sauce. Then I had chili and rice with a cheese I haven't had in a few years and also had a slushie. All things I have eaten before. I have allergies but didn't have any other symptoms. I went to mastrubate and noticed my penis was swollen. I was able to get a semi erection. Enough to ejaculate but it's still swollen alittle bit


I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and I understand why they are concerning to you. It is important for you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor to determine the cause of your symptoms. It is not possible to determine the specific cause of your symptoms without performing a thorough medical history and physical exam, including genital exam. Additionally, you may require additional blood testing or imaging studies. An abnormally swollen penis is uncommon. It is important to rule out sexually transmitted disease, such as syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. Although uncommon, an obstruction of blood flow out of the penis, potentially caused by a blood clot or vascular malformation, could cause a swollen penis. Priapism is a condition when an erection does not resolve on its own. This leads to congestion of blood in the penis with an inability for fresh, oxygenated blood to enter. This is a surgical emergency and often requires surgical procedures to correct. Difficulty achieving erection has many potential causes, including psychiatric issues, obesity, vascular disease, and hormonal imbalances. I encourage you to raise these concerns with a primary care doctor, who can help narrow the list of possibilities and recommend additional testing.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.